Job Title: Senior Care Assistant
Reports to: Home Manager or Residential Manager
Minimum Qualifications: QCF Level 3 in Health & Social Care plus two years’ experience in a relevant Care setting or working towards QCF Level 3 and minimum two years’ experience
- The Senior Care Assistant will hold a Level 3 in Health & Social Care or ideally be working towards QCF Level 3
- Willing to participate in continuous improvement and vocational training programmes
- Demonstrate an understanding of the Health & Social Care Act 2008
- The post holder will have experience or willing to be trained in the safe handling of medicines and medication training
- Previous supervisory experience is preferable
- Able to demonstrate an ability to manage pressure, prioritise tasks and communicate effectively at all levels with a genuine interest and experience of working within a care environment
- Work effectively as a team player and take the lead as necessary
The company is registered for several categories of care. As a quality operator, it is essential that the Senior Care Assistant recognises and accepts that this means always acting in a sensitive and professional manner for the best interest of the organisation and its residents.
The job title is as stated in the Contract Statement and generally the duties will be appropriate to that title, qualifications and experience.
To ensure the care team work responsibly and co-operatively, by providing them with effective communication, leadership and supervision. To ensure residents consistently receive the highest standards of safe, professional and empathic care, whilst maintaining their privacy and dignity. To respond to emergencies in line with policies and procedures and to provide support to the nurse-in-charge and guidance to care staff. To ensure people are treated fairly at all times. To update their knowledge and skills to meet legislative and best practice changes, in accordance with the required training and to embrace a culture of continuous learning and development.
Key tasks - Care
To ensure the highest levels of bespoke care is provided to all residents in every respect of daily living.
In line with the Team Leader role:
- Assist with the admission of new residents in a way that puts the new resident at the heart of the service and complies with all procedures.
- Respect people’s right to confidentiality, protecting and upholding their privacy and dignity
- Show consideration, respect and sensitivity for residents’ property
- Be vigilant and accurately report physical and/or emotional changes in residents.
- Ensure all care plans are up-to-date and reflect resident’s changing needs.
Model ways that support residents to lead as full a life as possible, using individual care plans to provide person centred care, seeking relevant activities for engagement and balancing support needs with independence
- Proactively improve the quality of care and support by reflecting on and updating own knowledge, skills and experience
- Support and coach team members to improve in all aspects of care
- Show leadership and work with others to ensure the delivery of safe, high quality care and support
- Administer medicines and controlled drugs in accordance with prescriptions and procedures
- Work to the Codes of Practice set down by the General Social Care Council
To communicate effectively with clarity, empathy and respect for others in all forms of communication and to all recipients
In line with the Senior Care Assistant role:
- Promote the wellbeing of people who need care and support
- Show enthusiasm and interest wen showing prospective residents and their families around the home, ensuring detailed requirements are agreed and accurately and future use
- Develop excellent rapport and be polite, welcoming and courteous to residents, relatives and visitors
- Ensure all accidents and incidents are recorded and communicated appropriately; in a timely and precise manner as per company procedures
- Promote, ensure and maintain the good reputation of the Care Home and the Company
- Understand the importance of correct record management and own personal responsibilities in maintaining this through passwords, storage of documentation and sharing information (both paper-based or on electronic systems)
- To be proactive in information management including identifying errors and omission in records and personal data, informing relevant persons promptly to reduce risk of harm or inappropriate care and treatment and responding to external recommendations to improve data quality
- Report breeches of records security to the line manager or home manager.
- Actively look for ways to improve internal and external communications
- Communicate effectively by adapting your style to meet the needs of others
To inspire and guide staff to provide exceptional care in a safe and dignified way, by motivating them to carry out their duties effectively and efficiently.
- Live and promote the Company Mission and Brand Values at all times
- Support the Home Manager to promote the home and deliver excellent service, safety and profitability
- Work effectively and co-operatively as a team member and a team leader
- Report to the nurse-in-charge when tasks have been completed and ensure all paperwork has been completed thoroughly and signed off by the relevant staff member
- Take responsibility for completing all mandatory training, ensure compliance and seek opportunities to continue to learn
- Support training and supervision of junior and new staff members in all aspects of their work
- Demonstrate effective time management by planning and organising to ensure that tasks are completed on time and to a high standard, whilst providing exceptional care
- Assist with the effective Induction of new staff, ensuring all relevant documentation is understood, completed and signed off
- Work responsibility to deliver excellent care when supporting the nurse-in-charge
- Promote an environment where all people are treated fairly.
Health & Safety
To implement safety practices in line with legislation and company policies and procedures and to promote these methods with all staff
In line with the Team Leader role:
- Promote equality, diversity and inclusion by treating all people fairly and without bias
- Complete and update all mandatory training and ensure compliance at all times
- Comply with all relevant legislation and company policies and procedures to ensure the health, safety and well-being of all residents, their visitors and colleagues
- Comply with company policies and procedures in relation to infection control and prevention
- Ensure the security of the home is maintained at all times
- Ensure all accidents and incidents are communicated in a timely and precise way as per company procedures
- To work within the company’s Information Governance policies in order to maintain security of personal and sensitive data.
This Job Description indicates only the main duties and responsibilities of the post. It is not intended as an exhaustive list.